This is my new dish drainer and special, extra long, patriotic rubber gloves (you can’t see but they have a union flag pattern at the end).
Until recently we had a fully functioning dishwasher that we used once a day. We haven’t used it since the start of December and I can honestly say that I have missed it on maybe one or two occasions. Sometimes I think I am the only person who actually quite likes washing up. I just can’t get to grips with the logistics of using a dishwasher. I know I am in the minority and to be honest, it makes me feel like I must be a bit stupid. Everyone else seems to love their dishwasher and I feel as if I must be missing something. However, here are my reasons for still liking washing up…
1. A bowl of hot soapy water is useful whenever you’re cooking so that you can wipe surfaces down or rinse equipment. I just don’t like the idea of using sprays for wiping down work tops though I can’t really explain why.
2. It might be just me but I always seem to need to dry most of the stuff that comes out of the dishwasher anyway.
3. You don’t have to worry ‘is this dishwasher proof?’ when you are washing by hand.
4. I nearly always have to take something out of the dishwasher and wash it by hand anyway because I need it to prepare another meal.
5. Loading and emptying the dishwasher is just as much of a chore if you ask me. It’s also quite a solitary chore. At least when there’s washing up and drying to be done it can be a time for chatting, often a good thing at the end of a day.
I’m not on a mission to convert anyone back to washing up – I was not paid by fairy liquid to write this! If you love your dishwasher, good luck to you, long may it last. Me, I think I’ll stick with the old fashioned way.