New Year – New Project: Granny Square Cushion Covers

If you read my self-indulgent Christmas wish list you will know that I was after some newer, larger cushions. In the end, I was able to get some plain cushion inserts in the size I wanted but there was nothing available (ready made) that I wanted to cover them with. So, I bit the bullet and bought some fabric. Goodness knows why because I’m not really much of a sewer. Here it is – quite floral and chintzy but I liked the colours in it. I’ve shown it next to our checked curtains and our ancient leather sofa.

IMG_4378

IMG_4380I only bought enough fabric to cover the two new cushions that I bought but I already had an old, threadbare cushion that, being the biggest on the sofa, is the one the children fight over like the most. I decided that the quickest and easiest way to cover it would be to crochet something. I also had it in mind to use up some of my acrylic yarn stash.

IMG_4365Because I wanted this to be a quick and easy make I thought simple granny squares would be a good idea. I’m also hoping that good old fashioned grannies will be in keeping with the slightly vintage floral feel of the print.

But, it’s always worth having a wander around the internet to see what ideas other people have had. I had a good look around on Pinterest, searching for ‘Granny Squares’ and I found lots of lovely projects. I also found that the term ‘Granny Square’ covers a multitude of stitches and patterns. If you want to look at some of the things I pinned, you can visit my board ‘cushion inspiration’ by clicking here. For me though, a granny square should only be made up of trebles (double crochet in US terms) clustered together, with each cluster usually separated by a chain stitch. Something like this in fact.

IMG_4368This is the first test square that I made. If you look carefully, you might be able to see that some of the rows have clusters of four trebles together while some only have the traditional three. What you might not be able to tell is that there are no chains separating the clusters, except at the corners, where there are two. I want my squares to be as dense as possible so that eventually, the plain white cotton underneath doesn’t show too much so I pinched the ‘no chains’ idea from here. I am also using a 3.5mm hook. I like the fact that it contains all the matching colours I found in my stash. I also like the fact that the last row is a similar colour to the sofa. What’s more, I found that making 16 of these should be just the right size for one side of my cushion.

IMG_4382I was pretty happy about the colour combinations but not too sure that I had enough of the two central turquoises. I attempted to find out by weighing my yarn and weighing a tiny square made just from the first two colours. I wasn’t going to have enough of the second, lighter colour so I bit the bullet and bought a new ball of Stylecraft Special 100% acrylic in ‘sherbet’.

IMG_4366It is a lovely colour so I have no regrets. I’m already mentally covering my other old cushions in this yarn.

So, I had to start making another test square, slightly different this time and ending in the bright red in preparation for the ‘join as you go’ technique. This time I made all the clusters of four trebles, just as an experiment and it seemed to work quite well.

IMG_4369Off I went, making 15 more new squares, one colour at a time.

IMG_4371

IMG_4370When I got to this stage I  started to thing that I should have made the whole cushion from a much more limited colour palette. And, there was something bugging me about that bright red. I photographed a few new combinations and I think I am going to replace it with this pinker shade. I’m not entirely sure what it is called. It’s definitely another Stylecraft Special dk, I think it’s ‘Pomegranate’.

IMG_4388

IMG_4385Progress has slowed somewhat this week as I have been working on a commission – a  garland of rainbow coloured stars. Normally they don’t take too long but I decided to try a new joining method. It turns out my method was a very bad idea, it takes forever. I’m hoping that by this time next week I will have finished the garland and finished at least a few of my squares so I can really see how this new colour combination works.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “New Year – New Project: Granny Square Cushion Covers

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s