This cushion cover was my New Year project. I needed something to replace the very old and threadbare original cover.
To my surprise, I realised that very few of my previous projects have required joining so I had to think quite carefully about how I was going to do it. I don’t really like sewing crochet together, I think it probably has a greater tendency to work loose and this cushion is going to get some rough treatment from my children. In the end I decided to make four strips of four squares and then join each strip together. I placed the squares right sides together and used a slip stitch through the back loops only to join everything together. Although this creates a slight ridge, it’s barely noticeable once the front and back are joined.
I felt that it would be a good idea to create an edge to the whole thing so I did a row of treble clusters in the deliciously named ‘pomegranate’ (pink) colour and completed the front with a row of trebles in ‘sherbet’ worked singly.
Then I had to think about how I was going to make the back. I enjoyed doing the row of single trebles so much that it seemed like a good idea to keep going in the same style. Before long I had decided to work the back in random, stripy rows using the same colours as the front. It also wasn’t long before I realised that I was going to like the back better than the front.
As much as I don’t like sewing crochet together it was the best option for the edges. I left a tail of yarn at each end of the row and used this to sew the stripy back to the square patterned front. The opening for the cushion pad is about a third of the way down and the flaps are overlapping slightly.
This picture was taken in artificial light so the colours don’t show up so well but you can see that I was trying to work out how to place my buttons. The final stripy row that I did included some gaps made of chains to use as button holes.
So, only another two of these giant covers to create. Maybe I’ll have finished them by next New Year.